Tuesday 5 March 2013

Final BA Project week 4

It's already a month since I started working on my final project at Vilnius Academy of Arts. Still a long way to go until my book is finished, but it's working pretty well so far. Looking back at my very first sketches, I know that I'm moving in the right direction. Just stay positive until the end!
 














Last week I came back to painting my characters again. The technique I'm using is rather spontaneous and unpredictable so I always end up with a one-of-a-kind character. I really enjoy this process as I never know what I'll end up with. Instead of thinking what to create, ink painting allows me to follow the brushstrokes and my intuition. I love playing with colours too.

I realized that these characters are actually illustrations of various feelings while the text mirrors the author's thoughts. I was quite surprised that everything is much more simple and clear than I first imagined. My initial concept was about the author looking for the main character for his book. I'll stick to it in my storytelling, but now I know the main theme of my book too. It's the fight between thoughts (author) and feelings (rejected characters). Who will win this big fight?
It turns out that my story will be about the creative process. Just like in A Book about, where twins were struggling to create a book together. The creative journey itself is very important and inspiring to me. It's definitely not easy, but how can somebody be dedicated and not enjoy it? Learn from your mistakes and have fun!

I tried to create my first spreads mixing these characters with some hand-written words. After receiving some valuable critique, I understood that it's better to keep the text more subtle to contrast with my expressive illustrations. I'll try to work on that next time and constantly look for the right balance between word and picture.

I also don't have all of my text written down, so this is gonna be the main goal for this week. Gotta have something decent to work with instead of messing around with some random words. Time to get more professional, it's my final BA project after all!

The author of this book is getting annoyed and mad...





 
 
 
... those feelings are really hard to control sometimes, aren't they?
So what will happen next? Wait and see, it's gonna be one long journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment